“Big is going to be better. Small is not going to survive."
These are the words of an East Coast healthcare exec earlier this year. Many analysts agree and apparently, so do some healthcare leaders - given the flurry of M&A activity in June/July and 2015. Consider:
- Mergers / sale of US hospitals (e.g.: Tenet's sale in St. Louis)
- Acquisition of physician groups and/or HC practices
- Target's pharmacy & clinic business sale
- Nursing facility buys (e.g.: Genesis HealthCare)
- Revenue cycle management services acquisition (i.e.: ROI Companies)
- And, the pieces de resistance --- Aetna's $37B BIG BUY
Time will tell if the trend (probably) and pace continues (Check back in a few..).